Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How many years does it take to graduate?
A: Four years are required to graduate high school.

Q: How can I apply to MCHS?
Fill out an application. The 2014-2015 application will be available in January. Locate the application on the Home page.

Q: Can students from another district apply?
A: No, MCHS is strictly for WCCUSD residents.

Q: What kind of books do you need?
We supply the standard high school books that you would need for your classes. We also supply the books you would need for your college classes. (Though it is true that we can not fully guarantee books that are outside our education plan.)

Q: Does middle college accept teacher recommendations from middle school teachers?
A: One letter of recommendation is required from each applicant.

Q: What kind of opportunities do students at Middle College get that other High School students don't get?
MCHS students are able to take college classes and earn college credit. That, of course, is the most obvious opportunity. They also take high school classes that are much smaller in size and thus are able to receive more attention than is possible in a large high school. Students can also take advantage of many opportunities available at the college, such as drama productions, clubs, and Associative Student Union (ASU) activities. The best way to get a true feel of what the school is all about, including academics and extracurricular activities, is to attend Preview Day.

Q: What types of Scholarship programs does Middle College offer?
We do not have many "school-specific" scholarships. Our students apply to general scholarships. Alot of great websites with more schloarship information HERE, and our staff is always ready to help in anyway they can.

Q: How can I apply?
To apply, fill out an application, which usually are available in January. Applications for the 2014-2015 year will be available on January 2014.

Q: Do you have to wear a uniform to attend?
We do not have a uniform policy, but we do of course have dress codes for appropriate attire.

Q: Do you have to live in Richmond to be accepted?
Students do not have to specifically live in Richmond. We accept students from all over the West Contra Costa Unified School District.

Q: How many students are in each class? How much more work is MCHS compared to other high schools?
Average 75
There are higher expectations in high school classes in order to support college readiness.

Q: Can my child participate in a school sport at another high school in the district?
Yes, but only at their school of residence with prior approval from the MCHS principal. Maintaining at least a 3.0 GPA is highly recommended.

Q: When does MCHS usually start and end school?
MCHS starts early August and ends at the end of May. MCHS follows the college's calendar.

Q: When can my child apply?
Your child can apply in January.

Q: Are there any dances or mixers or social events?
There are rallies, dances, prom, clubs, and college events. Students may also attend events any other school with prior written approval.

Q: Is there a fee for going here?
The college charges high school students $6 per semester.