Media Services is part of the CCC Library. It provides audiovisual equipment for use in the classrooms; maintains the instructional Media Lab; and purchases programs and equipment under the direction of the Media Librarian.
MEDIA COLLECTION & MEDIA LAB
The media collection includes audiocassettes, compact discs, CD-ROMs, DVDs, and videotapes. The collection is for the use of campus faculty, staff and students. Students may not check out media items for home use, but may view them in the Media Lab. The programs in the media collection are available at the Library's Circulation Desk. The Media Lab itself is located adjacent to the Circulation Desk; it provides the equipment used by students to view/hear the library's non-print materials.
Programs are listed in the Online Catalog, and in the printed Media Collection Subject Index, which lists programs by broad subject area (e.g. Anthropology). A copy of this index (updated annually) is in a binder on the Circulation Desk counter and is also available online as a PDF file Media Collection Subject List. You will need Acrobat Reader to view this document -- you can download it for free from Adobe.
If a student needs to use a Media Lab program as part of a class presentation, the instructor of that class needs to contact the Circulation Desk staff to provide student's name and the date needed -- and to accept responsibility for the program.
Faculty should go to Media Services for Faculty for more information about scheduling these programs to use in the classroom.
STUDENT ASSIGNMENTS IN THE MEDIA LAB
- Faculty may send students to the Media Lab to view/listen to specific titles as part of a class assignment.
- Media staff can provide each student with a verification slip as proof that he/she checked out a specific title.
- Please keep in mind that library staff can assist students in locating materials and will show them how to use the equipment, but cannot presume to tell students what an instructor's assignment is, or how to do it. Such questions will be referred back to the instructor.
MEDIA COLLECTIONS ONLINE
The CCC Library has digital streaming rights for selected media programs from Films for the Humanities & Sciences. Users will need to authenticate that they are current CCC students or employees when using from off-campus. Go to Films on Demand to see list of titles.
Other video programs are available online, many freely, including:
- Khan Academy: Over 36,000 video and tutorials. Original focus was on math and science, but subject offerings are expanding.
- PBS: Newer programs are sometimes available for online viewing for a limited time. There may also be a page of teaching activities, discussion questions, etc.
- TED Talks: Online clearninghouse of speeches that offer knowledge and a glimpse of what's to come from the world's most inspiring speakers
MEDIA EQUIPMENT DISTRIBUTION
A variety of equipment is available for use on campus by faculty and college staff; most (but not all) items are available for college-related use at off-campus sites. Go to Media Services for Faculty for more information about scheduling equipment.
Contact the Media Librarian for questions regarding media services or staff, the media collection, copyright regulations, purchase requests, and/or for consultation on the best ways to meet classroom audiovisual needs.