Several of the Library's online subscription databases have mobile apps and/or mobile-friendly sites (a site that recognizes that it is being accessed via a mobile device and automatically adjusts). The list below includes these databases as well as some commonly-used and useful websites. It is not meant to be all-inclusive -- think of it as a "starter pack."
All of the listed apps are available via the App Store at http://www.apple.com/apps
Mobile Apps - Subscriptions
- AccessMyLibrary - College Edition: Access for the Gale databases, which at CCC include Biography in Context, Opposing Viewpoints in Context, and the Gale Virtual Reference Library. To authenticate, will need to use your school-issued email address. See Gale handout for more information.
- EBSCOHost: Access for EBSCO’s databases, which at CCC include Academic Search Premier, Business Source Elite, CINAHL Plus with FT, Health Source, Newspaper Source Plus, Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection, and an ebook collection. Can save articles for later off-line access. Will need to re-authenticate every 9 months. Regular site is mobile-friendly, too, if connect as usual via CCC Library's Databases page. See EBSCO handout for more information.
Mobile-Friendly Websites - Subscriptions
- Encyclopedia Britannica: There's a free downloadable app, but using it costs $1.99/month. Better to use the subscription version via the CCC Library's Databases page, which will lead to a mobile-friendly version.
- NoodleTools: They are developing separate app, but in the meantime you can go to the the regular NoodleTools website (if you already have a log-in) or use the subscription version via the CCC Library's Handouts & Guides page or the Library Instruction page. Both will lead to a mobile-friendly version.
- Science: The free app gives access to abstracts & news, and the Science website is mobile-friendly, but for full-text, use the subscription version via the CCC Library's Databases page, which will lead to a mobile-friendly version.
Mobile Apps and/or Mobile-Friendly Websites - Free
- Congressional Record (app): Debates, proceedings & activities of the U. S. Congress.
- Edmunds (app): New & used car prices, reviews, etc. Regular Edmunds website website is mobile-friendly, too.
- Library of Congress (app): App opens with a Virtual Tour, but can get to full site, too, which provides historical documents, photos, music, films, oral histories, webcasts and more. Regular Library of Congress website is mobile-friendly, too.
- NASA (app): Current mission info, image library, news & feature stories. Regular NASA website website is mobile-friendly, too.
- Nature (app): Read news & research abstracts & some full text. Need own paid subscritpion (pricey) for complete full text. Regular Nature website also mobile-friendly.
- PubMed on Tap Lite (app): Free version limits searches to 10 results, only some of which may have free full text. The $2.99 version allows you to specify option to find only articles with FREE full text. Can save articles to folder for later access. Regular PubMed website also mobile-friendly.
- Social Science Research Network (app): Purpose is to disseminate scholarly research quickly. This means that articles may not have been officially published yet so be careful with selection if you are required to use only published documents.
- TED (app): "Ideas worth spreading." There is only one official app. Watch videos from TED Talks on a wide range of topics related to Technology, Entertainment & Design.
- United States Government Mobile Apps Gallery website: Huge collection of apps for various federal agencies and special programs.